Vacancy: Mechanical Design Engineer
We are looking for an enthusiastic and capable Mechanical Design Engineer to join our team and support development of new and existing lab equipment to support practical teaching of Engineering in higher education. This is an exceptional opportunity in which you will support all aspects of design from initial concept through to production and experience the immense satisfaction that comes from seeing your ideas being manufactured and sold all around the world.
As all our equipment is designed to support teaching of engineering principles it is essential you have an exceptional grasp of engineering science and understand the fundamental processes being demonstrated with the equipment. Equally important is a good understanding of manufacturing processes and design for manufacture. You will have the capability to become an expert in the areas in which you will be working and also deliver robust, reliable designs that are easy to manufacture and deliver an outstanding student experience.
The work is varied, interesting and demanding. You must be a self-motivated individual, yet able to integrate and function in a dynamic and fast paced team.
The candidate will be required to work on two distinct sets of tasks. One will be to support all stages of the development of a series of products that each deliver a set of key learning objectives. The second will be to highlight areas of improvement and implement design changes to existing products.
- Location: Bonsall Street, Long Eaton, Notttinghamshire
- Hours: 37 hours per week, i.e. 8.00am – 4.30pm. Monday-Thursday (1/2 hour for lunch), 8.00am – 13.00pm Friday (no lunch break)
- Rate of Pay: £30,000 - £40,000
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Degree in a mechanical engineering course or similar field
- Experience of designing laboratory or test equipment or similar
- Good understanding of engineering design including 3D modelling, 2D drawing, risk mitigation and design validation
- Ability to generate original ideas and work from a blank sheet
- Good written and verbal English
- Experience with SolidWorks, FASTCAD, Corel Draw
- Experience of working in Design teams
- Thorough understanding of correct presentation of engineering drawings including surface finishes, limits fit and tolerances
- Experience of FMEAs for design and production
- Understanding of Bills of Materials (BOMs) and their hierarchy
- Knowledge of CE Marking including Machinery and Pressure directives
How to apply
Email your CV and optional covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org