The bench-mounting apparatus consists of five long, transparent sedimentation columns mounted on a rigid frame.
The rear panel is translucent, with back lighting to improve observation of settling sediments in the columns. The columns are removable for filling before tests. A graduated scale on the rear panel allows students to measure settlement depth.
Supplied with the equipment is a stopwatch to find settling times, a specific gravity bottle, measuring beakers and five rubber bungs. The rubber bungs seal the ends of the columns when the students shake the liquid and particles (slurry) before an experiment.
- Comparison of settling characteristics of different sediments
- Determination of the effect of concentration on settling characteristics (hindered settlement)
- Determination of velocity distribution curves
- Comparison of flocculent and particle suspensions
- Determination of particle size distribution (grading curve) by liquid sedimentation